Tuesday, October 11, 2011

New York, New York

The last two years, Dad and I have taken a trip to New England to see the fall colors and hang out in small towns. Not this year. We decided to hit New York City last weekend for a faster paced getaway. It wasn't what you would call relaxing, but the weather was awesome and we had a great time walking the city for 8-10 hours a day.

Upon arriving, we headed to Midtown to check out the Flatiron District and then a trip to the top of the Empire State Building. Here is a nice sunset view of lower Manhattan in the background (new World Trade Center Freedom Tower is the tall one) and the Flatiron Building in the foreground.

We were visiting during Columbus Day weekend so the Empire State Building was decked out in the colors of the Italian flag.The next day we set out on our trek to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, taking our time to see the sights along our route.



Here is a better picture of the new Freedom Tower being built. We couldn't get into the 9/11 Memorial because it was booked till November so we had to just peek through the fences.Just down the block from the WTC site, we ran into the Wall Street protesters that have been all over the news. They were just hanging out, probably because it was Saturday and all the Wall Street offices were empty. We finally made it to the Brooklyn Bridge and we took our time crossing it, stopping many times to get pictures. We had a pretty good view of the Statue of Liberty




And of the Empire State Building.After crossing back into Manhattan, we thought we'd hit Times Square and see what was going on there.



This picture is just to make Jessica jealous.




Our final day was spent walking around the Upper West Side through Columbia University and Central Park. I fulfilled one of my "must-dos" and got a pastrami sandwich at a Jewish deli. I ate the whole thing.In Central Park, we wanted to go see the Strawberry Fields memorial, but it just happened to be John Lennon's birthday so there were some Beatles impersonators singing songs and a huge crowd was standing on the "Imagine" mosaic so we didn't get to see it. However we did get to see a pretty realistic John Lennon. This picture is to make Nathan jealous. As you can see, it was a gorgeous weekend in NYC. Me and dad had a blast as usual even though we're both probably a little sore from all the walking we did.



6 comments:

James said...

Looked like a really nice trip. Pretty good John Lennon pic. Glad you all had good weather for the trip. Jessica is going to be very jealous that you got to see Elmo in person. Looks like lots of good times. I have never been to New York. Now, you got me wanting to go there. So many destinations.....so little time.

Meema said...

Wow those are great pictures! You hit all the spots all right. What a great trip! I have always wanted to go to New York. Your blog is living history.
I'm not a huge pastrami sandwich fan but honestly, that sandwich has my mouth watering. It looks so lean and delicious! You both must be pretty fit to walk for 8-10 hours a day. What great memories!

Meema said...

...Also, I laughed out loud when I saw you standing next to ELMO!

M said...

I'm so glad you and Dad always have good times on your trips. I saw pictures of the Taft Hotel, where our senior class stayed on our class trip in 1969.

Megan Meissner said...

Too bad Nate didn't get to go for the whole Beatles celebration.

And, that sandwich is ridiculous. Did Dad eat one too?

Joe said...

No dad just had a piece of cheesecake.