Jess and I took a road trip to Arcata, Ca with Grandpa last weekend. Allison spent the weekend with Meema. The first thing we did was take Jessica to the beach. Jessica talked a lot about finding shells and crabs pinching her on the beach, she had some pretty interesting ideas about the beach.
It was cold at the beach but I took her shoes off so she could feel the sand between her toes and get the full experience.
She didn't want to leave but the wind was making me cold.
After the beach, we took Jessica to see the Giant Redwoods.
We tried to visit the family plot in Arcata after the Redwoods since that was our reason for this road trip. But, Grandma Pat wasn't in the mood for visitors that day. We tried to go twice. The first time it started pouring rain then cleared up once we started heading back toward the hotel. So we turned around to try again and this is what we encountered.
We knew when we'd been beat. So we went back to the hotel and checked in. Our room overlooked a big Coi pond and Jessica had some fun jumping on the bed.
Coi Pond
The best part of the hotel was the heated pool and hot tub. When we got to the pool we discovered that someone had put way too many bubbles in the hot tub. The hotel manager was running around trying to catch the culprit and we thought she might close it. But, luckily, we got to swim anyway and all the extra bubbles just added to our fun.
Bubbles
Jessica didn't protest when it was time for bed that night.
The next morning we took Jessica back to the beach to see if we could find some shells. Jessica picked up all the shells she could find, broken or not. (They were all broken.)
After the shell collection at the beach we went to the Marina for breakfast. It's amazing how easy it is to get around when you just have one kid with you. But Jessica was really missing her little sister. She kept saying, "I want my baby Allison".
We stopped by the cemetery to pay our respects before we headed home. I forgot to teach Jessica proper cemetery etiquette so she started hopping on all the graves right away. I think she is still grappling with the idea of death because she has been asking a lot of questions and incorporating the cemetery theme into her play. We have a rich family history in Arcata on my Grandma Pat's side of the family.
About five hours later Jessica got to see her baby Allison that she missed so much. She told me that she wanted to be the first to hug Allison so I made sure I had my camera ready.
Sister ReunionThese little girls sure love each other.

4 comments:
What a nice trip you three had. It brought back memories of our road trip up the California coast a few years ago. Jessica seemed to have a good time too. Seeing the sister reunion put a huge smile on my face as well. I can't wait to come back and get to be apart of the fun!
Love, Daddy
That was a very nice blog/videos. The video of Jessi and Alli seeing each other for the first time was very sweet.
Hope you had a nice birthday, Lexi.
It was so nice to have all that time with Alexis and Jessica. Thank you Mickey for taking care of Allison while we were over on the coast. I think that Jessica is pretty warm blooded. She didn't want anything to do with the warm, bubbly spa at the hotel, she liked the cooler swimming pool. Jessica was great on the trip and seemed to have fun. We will have to go to Fort Bragg so that she can actually see crabs since she was so on about them. That video of Jessica and Allison was too cute. Thank you for the chance to rewind the wonderful weekend.
What a great trip! It doesn't look like the weather deterred you at all. Jessica sure wanted to board the boats at the marina... I know she would have if given half a second! I was very happy to watch Allison, she was so mellow without Jess I started to wonder if she was getting sick! She didn't have big sister there to mimic, she was a bit lost. Thank you for the great blog, I just now watched all the videos, what a great experience for Jessica.
Post a Comment