We stopped at a scenic overlook. You can see the Persian Gulf in the distance behind me.
Here are some videos of us driving through the dunes. I couldn't believe what these guys were doing to their vehicles. I was in a pretty nice Lexus SUV and this guy was driving as fast as he could up and down these dunes. It makes me wonder how many times he has flipped one of his vehicles. I guess when you live in one of the richest countries in the world, cars are disposable.
I barely got the end of this guy sliding down the dune
When we weren't going up the dunes, we would just speed along these open flat areas
We stopped for another scenic overlook of the Persian Gulf
and then we headed off to our beach
We finally got to a little resort type area where we could sit and relax
The water was surprisingly cold when I first got in, but started to feel better once I got used to it.
Walking down the beach, I stumbled upon two camels
I tried hiding behind a dune, but he knew exactly where I was.
I found their owner and he was letting people ride them. I rode "Raja". The other one's name was "Rani", but it had a bad hip so it wasn't giving rides.
After the camel riding, it was time to eat. I'm a big fan of Mediterranean food and Middle Eastern food is virtually identical to it. The guides cooked all the meat right on the beach. As you can see in the picture, we had lamb and beef kebobs, chicken, pita bread, hummus, tzaziki sauce and cucumber salad. It was quite delicious.
As if the day couldn't get any better, just as we were leaving, a guy walks down the beach with a monkey on a leash! He gathered quite a crowd and the owner let some people feed him nuts. And yes, if you're wondering, that monkey is in fact wearing a diaper.
All in all it was a pretty great day . To be able to get away from the monotony that has become my daily life is very refreshing.

5 comments:
That video of you on the camel had me laughing. Allison kept pointing at the computer screaming daddy. Jessica is now pretending to be a monkey with a diaper on. I am so glad you got to have an adventure. I am glad you made it back to your room safely, the fast driving cars were scaring me a little.
Lexi
Wow, Buzzy, you had a great adventure! I'm sure you'll plan more of those excursions. I'll be sure to show this blog to Grandma Gerken. Mom
Great videos and pictures Joe. I really enjoyed them. The food you described sounded great (except for the lamb). Glad you got to see something new other than what is just around the base. Take care.
Love,
Aunt Ruth
That looked like a fun day Joe. I noticed that they bagged the camel's nose. I am assuming that is to keep them from spitting at you ! Looks like a great place for dune buggies. Thank you for sharing the trip. I am glad you can get out and about from time to time.
Did I hear a bit of nervous laughter as you sped down the beach? My stomach did a little flip just watching it! I would have been saying my final prayers. You mounting the camel was hilarious, sorry, Joe! I had tears coming out of my eyes. They look so much more comfortable on TV! The day reminds me of an excursion on a cruise, only a lot more authentic and exciting. I love seeing what you're doing while you're there. :)
Post a Comment