Monday, April 29, 2013

Qatar Life

I haven't had a chance to go on any off base trips lately, so I thought I'd give a mini tour of the base.  I'll start out with my living quarters, building B-10.
Yep, it looks like a prison but as you'll see in later videos, it is unquestionably better than living in trailers with no bathrooms
This is what the dorm complex looks like.  Pretty much everyone who is here for 6 months or longer gets to live in them.  The enlisted ranks usually have to share a room, RHIP I guess.
It's about a ten minute walk from my dorm to the main part of the base, called the Coalition Compound (CC).  Along the way there is a ton of construction going on. 
Getting in to the CC, you start seeing rows and rows of trailers and missile shelters.  You also see "Cadillacs", which are the bathrooms.  People that live in the trailers have to walk to a separate building to shower or use the bathroom.  That would be awful for me, considering I sleep during the day and it's so bright outside, there's no way I could fall back asleep if I had to go outside.
 
 
Another video of the trailers
Walking toward the main meeting area of the CC.
Center of the CC
There are two food courts on base.  This is the one in CC and there's another one next to my dorm.  I can't believe I see people buying Subway when you can make your own sandwiches in the chow hall for free.  However, last night I broke down and bought a personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut.  After 10 weeks of zero fast food, my digestive system immediately regretted it.
 
                                  Well, that's a brief peek at my home for the next 10 months.  Compared to the rat's nest I lived in over in Afghanistan, this place is like a five star resort.  If I could just have my three girls with me, life would be great.

8 comments:

M said...

Thanks for the tour, Buzzy. Hopefully, you'll have a TV in the next week or so. Mom

Meema said...

Thank you for the peek into your life! It was really interesting. I did picgture grass around before I saw it, I don't know why!

Haggerty Hacienda said...

The base is well established but those videos made me sad. I pictured a normal Burger King, not a make-shift trailer. Also, I had no idea that it was a gravel waste land. I guess gravel is better than sand, functionally but it isn't pretty. I am glad that you don't have to live in a tent or leave your room to use the bathroom but I still feel sorry for you. Have you cleaned your bathroom yet?

Haggerty Hacienda said...

Jessica has been talking about daddy a lot lately. Here's what I tell her: daddy is working far away to stop bad guys from hurting people and he has special tools (like a superhero) that he can use to help him defeat them. Now I can show her where daddy is working to stop the bad guys.

James said...

Kind of looks like west Texas !
Minus the oil rigs. Thank you for the look into life on Base Joe. I hope you get to see the Women in your life soon.

Megan Meissner said...

So glad you were able to make time in your busy schedule to give us a tour of base. I'm sure that took away some valuable time from watching movies, sleeping or working out, so we're all very thankful.

M said...

Megan Kathryn Meissner, you be nice to your brother!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Joe for the tour (bit late on my posting), but glad to get to see your living space and pictures of the base. And yes, rank does have its privileges.

Love,Aunt Ruth