Monday, December 2, 2013

Spidey

My sister has had a tarantula since she was seven.  She loves them like most people love puppies and kittens.  I remember trying to comfort her one while she sobbed on the sidewalk in front of our home.  Our mom thought another tarantula had gotten inside the cage and killed Lindsay's tarantula when her very first tarantula shed it's skin for the first time.  Mom thought it would be a good idea to try to poison the new "killer" tarantula with some Raid but Lindsay told her not to.  After all, in Lindsay's mind, it was better to have one killer tarantula than none at all.  My mom eventually called the pet store and found out about the skin shedding.  That was the moment, though, when I truly understood how much she loved her spider.  Her latest tarantula is named Spidey and she brought him over for a visit with Jessica.  (Allison feels the same way about spiders as most of us do.)


Here are some videos of Jessica holding Spidey.

Spidey 1

Spidey 2

Spidey 3

Spidey 4

Here is another video of one of our latest adventures with Aunt Lindsay.  She showed us a cool new park.

Bamboo Forest

3 comments:

James said...

I don't blame Allison. That thing looks like it WILL get you. However, after seeing all the videos, I was inclined to think that Spidey was the one at the most risk. The look of delight on Jessica's face is fun to see. The bamboo forest picture was very cool. I have never been to that park either. Thank you for the new post!

Meema said...

I think of Lindsay as the wonderful, weirdtastic, gorillas-in-the-mist aunt. She always has a different perspective to offer along with the unexpected! The bamboo place looks so mystical and beautiful!
I agree Spidey was most at risk, but I can't wax warm on the subject. Remember, during Lindsay's stay in Klamath years ago, the current arachnid "Doc" got out of his tank and was on the lam in my house undetected for who knows how long. Once I realized he escaped (I didn't know for awhile because he sneakily left his old spider skin behind, and when I checked on his captivity each day, I thought it was him) I threatened to go stay in a hotel until he was hunted down and contained. We found him in a coat closet, more huge than ever, and it was Lexi, not Joe, who ushered him into a large grocery sack with a broom. The local 1st graders appreciated him as an addition to their classroom.
Joe and Lexi, you may have some weird house guests in your future. Jessi loves snakes too.
I'm with Alli. WE would have been on the other side of the room! Our little girls are so delightful!

Daddy said...

Jessica isn't scared of any animal! I've never seen kids her age hold snakes and spiders like she does. It's funny that Allison isn't nearly as excited about Spidey.

Love, Daddy