I decided to brave the 104 degree heat and venture into downtown Doha to visit the souqs, which is kinda like a giant flea market where you can buy rugs, spices, animals, etc. One of the guys in my office has an off base driving pass so four of us went for the afternoon.
Here is one of the rug shops
And here is one of the dozens of clothing shops. Every shopkeeper was trying to get us to buy their cashmere sharves.
I felt sorry for those poor women wearing their black burquas in that heat.
One entire section sold nothing but live animals like turtles, pigeons and fish
The obligatory skyline shot to prove I was here.
Skyline pan
This shot is for Nate, a playground afficianado
To round out the day, we went to a giant mall that was the complete opposite of the souqs. I stopped in a grocery store to check it out and it had pretty much everything American grocery stores have.
I also checked out the higher end stores of the mall. Sorry mom, and Megan, there won't be any purses in the mail anytime soon.
Overall, it was very cool to see how people here live.

6 comments:
Wow, baby, all that gym time is paying off, you look great! The animal part of the souq would be Jess and Alli's favorite part. I am always thankful to live in America where women have rights and freedom. I would hate to see my little girls have to wear those awful black robes. Another great blog handsome, I am going to let you take over the blogging when you get home.
Lexi
That's funny with the empty pocket LV picture. The guy in the store is looking out at your shenanigans.
How many people laughed at the silly American taking a selfie in the grocery store? Bahaha!
Thank you, Joe, I love your blogs! The women in the black burquas floating about like dark demons with the immaculate white angels (men) behind them disgusts me. It's really the other way around! What a repulsive way of life.
You cracked me up with your LV pic.
I appreciate the peeks into your temporary life. Your girls miss you so much. I have never been with them when your name doesn't come up. We have lengthy "daddy" discussions. They love their daddy so much!
104 degrees. That is extreme shopping ! I always feel that way at LV. Thank you for the great blog Joe. See you soon.
That's ok, Buzzy. I'll settle for my Coach handbags.
I'm glad when you're able to take day trips and explore your surroundings.
Mom
Great tour.....thanks Joe. Loved the picture of you in front of the LV store. You definitely would be having a lighter wallet after shopping there.
Love,
Aunt Ruth
Post a Comment