What a name! Right? Bumpass Hell is the name of the destination spot of our first hike with Jessica and Allison, hopefully first of many. Bumpass Hell is a group of sulfa pits near the base of Mt. Lassen in Lassen Volcanic National Park. The brochure describes the hike as "Moderate hike over rocky terrain with grand vistas. The trail drops into an active hydrothermal basin where you can view mudpots and fumaroles." It was 3 miles (round trip). I can hike 3 miles in my sleep but when you add 40lbs of Jessica to the front of me, along with hills and loose gravel, it gets a bit tricky. Let's just say I earned the two Krispy Kreme doughnuts I ate that morning. The drive up to Lassen was about two hours from Chico, we stopped for a potty break and found a creek to throw rocks in and an old water pump too.
I was trying to get the girls to laugh and look at Meema for a picture in front of Mt Lassen but Meema had the camera on Video and so it just looks like I am shaking my babies.
Meema started off with Jessica in the blue hiking backpack and I carried Allison on my back with my old trusty baby carrier (I've sure gotten my money's worth out of that thing!).
I was glad to unload Jessica for a while once we got to the Sulfa pits.
Here's the whole group.
Allison doesn't just ride along. She pulls ears and takes off your hat/glasses and throws them on the ground. Grandad was a good sport. Watch this video.
Torturing Grandad
I am really surprised that we didn't lose Grandad's hat or one of Allison's shoes in the Sulfa pits, not for lack of trying on Allison's part.
All loaded up for the hike back to the car. I was surprised that I wasn't too sore the next day, but I did have trouble on my run, I hobbled along at a 12min/mile pace rather than my usual 11min/mile.
Girls Sleeping on the Way Out
Food always tastes better after you hike, a wonderful phenomenon, and we snacked in the car all the way home.

4 comments:
That was a wonderful day!!!
Mt Lassen looks like a very interesting place. I like all the steam rising from the ground.
Love, Daddy
Looked like a beautiful day up there! Also looked exhausting. Jessica looks so funny in that front loader. She is getting so tall. Grandad and Meema are troopers. That place still smell of sulfer? That is what I remember about that place. Love Lassen park. Guess you will have to Take Joe there to see ongoing volcanic activity..... Thanks for the great blog.
It's wonderful you and the girls are enjoying some adventures with your family. In years to come, Jessica and Allison will be able to look at the blog and see all the interesting things they did.
Poor Grandad...he didn't have a chance with Allison on his back.
Post a Comment